Thank you for your interest in my profile! Here is some detail about myself, in case you wondered. I am a Product Manager working for Oracle since December 2021. Before joining Oracle I worked 8 years for @Enkitec in Europe. Let me quickly follow this up with the all important disclaimer: everything you read about in this blog strictly reflects my opinion only, I do not speak for any of my employers past or present. And future …
In addition to this weblog, I have published three books. The first one, for which I was a co-author, has become the de-facto reference for 11.2 RAC. I am very proud about the result: “Pro Oracle Database 11g RAC on Linux” from Apress. I have also written “Expert Consolidation in Oracle Database 12c” where I am summarising different approaches to Oracle database consolidation. I still wonder how I managed to write this all by myself… For my next project I had help again: A great number of us from Enkitec got together to publish a second edition to the very successful “Expert Oracle Exadata”, also from Apress.
And I like it a lot to present at Oracle User Group meetings.
I have been an Oracle DBA for some time now-I started working with the DBMS in 2001. My main interests are high availability and disaster recovery solutions for mission critical 24×7 systems for which I possess a wealth of experience.
My interest in Linux and generally speaking, open source technologies has really helped me when I started looking at “the cloud”. A lot of the software deployed in the cloud is based on (open source) projects: bingo :) I have tried to keep my skills in line with the growing demand of cloud knowledge, which you can see reflected on this weblog. I am very familiar with typical cloud automation and provision tools such as Terraform, Packer and Ansible on all major cloud platforms. I am also certified on some platforms.
As of December 2008 I am a proud member of the Oracle Certified Master community, having successfully passed the exam for Database 10g Release 2. I also managed to pass the 9i and 10g OCPs as well as the Oracle Certified Expert for RAC exam. In early 2016 I passed the OCM upgrade exam to 12c.
And if that wasn’t enough, I have been very pleasantly surprised by an email from the Oak Table network, and they invited me to join the best Oracle DBAs! How great an honour is that, I still find it hard to believe. The OakTable is a network of Oracle scientists who believe in better ways of building systems.
Oracle has recognised my contributions to the community by granting me the status as an Oracle ACE Director in 2013. In 2021 I traded the title for a position in Oracle itself, one of the best decisions in my career.
Still curious? Google me!
- Installation and administration of the Oracle database starting with Release 8i and covering all releases on Linux, Solaris, AIX and Windows in Real Application Clusters, active/passive and single instance configurations. Includes both on-premises deployments and cloud
- Very strong knowledge of all Oracle core technologies (RMAN, Data Guard, Real Application Cluster, Streams, Automatic Storage Management, Security)
- Familiarity with Cloud Infrastructure
- Keen interest Kubernetes and Docker and Cloud Native Technology in general
- Exadata and related Engineered Systems administration and tuning
- Enterprise Manager Cloud Control
- SQL Performance Tuning
- Oracle database server virtualisation
- Very good communication skills
- Ability to work successfully with teams in different time zones and cultural backgrounds
Social Media Sites
Over the past years I created additional social media presence. You can find my profiles here: